How to write content to improve SEO
- Do you understand that you need to be producing content for your business?
- Are you able to write but not sure if it is going to be effective for your business?
- Do you want to improve the content that you already have?
It is important to realise that there are several ways to improve your content so that both Google and your readers enjoy it better. As you may know, if Google enjoys your content then your websites chance rank better in the search results will be higher.
However, you are not writing for a machine. Googles algorithms understand well-written content that is structured, easy to read and answers questions. Long gone are the days of keyword stuffing just to get your website to rank, Google will notice this terrible content and put you to the back of the lineup.
Content: Just one part of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is visible content across your website and it is one that you can do yourself or outsource if you prefer.
How people read
This is something you can most likely observe yourself doing:
- Initially scanning the text
- Viewing the headings and subheadings
- Reading the first sentence of each paragraph
- Scanning any bullet points
From here you decide if you are going to read the entire article or move on to the next one that spikes your interest.
This is not just for blogs it is for every page of your website including the product and services pages. Remember that if the products you are selling don’t have enough information or the information that your visitors are looking for people will move on to the next website.
How Google reads
In a similar way to people, Google scans text. It does this scanning in both in the front end and back end of your website. Rather than using human eyes, it uses bots to scan over the text. Then using its various algorithms and artificial intelligence it decides how best to index the pages of your website.
Remember that this is just one aspect that Google uses to rank your website in the search results.
Looking at the front end text:
- The format of the text
- The proximity of related words
- A clear structure of the content
- Headings and subheadings
- The understanding and use of synonyms
- Natural language processing
- How it answers the questions Google searchers are asking for
Images: Google may not see your images or videos, they need to be titled correctly and the alt text added. Videos should always be transcribed so the content of the video can be indexed too.
By having a clear structure in your well-written text you will have a positive effect on your websites’ search results. This positive effect is not only with Google it will be with your website visitors too. Your website visitors will spend more time on your website and take action.
Remember that Googles algorithms are incredibly intelligent. For example, they are aware of the type of writing that should relate to medical articles and how someone with medical knowledge writes. If it deems medical content to not be written this way it will not be indexed well and will be unlikely to appear early in the search results.
Your content should be guiding readers through with
- The use of titles and subtitles
- The use of emotion in your titles
- Paragraphs for ease of reading
- Transition words
- Ensure you have a beginning, middle and end to your content
- Add some calls to action throughout
- Internal or external links to other relevant content/services/products
- Content that answers the questions of your ideal clients
Improve your SEO
How can you improve SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) for your small business?
- Look at outsourcing your SEO to a professional
- Ensure you have an up to date website it is an essential business tool
- Regularly review your content everywhere – Website, Social Media, and all other business collateral
- Start writing yourself or outsource this too
- Don’t risk your business by using overseas consultants who may not be using best practice
If you have any questions please get in touch, contact My Sassy Business.
Do you like to improve your small business knowledge – Why not subscribe and have a new blog delivered to your inbox each week.
[gravityform id=”2″ title=”true” description=”true”]