Local search optimisation is crucial for businesses looking to attract customers in their geographical area.
Whether you run a bricks-and-mortar store or offer local services, being visible online to your local audience can significantly impact your success.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the essential steps to optimise your online presence for local search.
Table of Contents
- Understanding local search
- Claiming and optimising your Google My Business listing
- NAP consistency is key
- Local keyword research
- On-page SEO for local optimisation
- Building local citations
- Encourage customer reviews
- Mobile optimisation
- Social media and local SEO
- Monitor and adapt your strategy
1. Understanding local search
Local search refers to the process of users seeking information about businesses, products, or services in a specific geographic area. This often involves searches like “restaurants near me” or “plumbers in [city].” Google and other search engines aim to provide the most relevant and accurate results based on the user’s location.
2. Claiming and optimising your Google My Business listing
Google My Business (GMB) is a critical tool for local search optimisation.
Claim and verify your GMB listing to ensure your business appears in Google Maps and local search results.
Optimise your GMB profile by:
- Providing accurate and complete information (name, address, phone number, website)
- Choosing the right categories
- Adding high-quality photos and videos
- Writing a compelling business description
- Sharing regular updates
3. NAP consistency is key
NAP stands for Name, Address, and Phone number.
Ensure that your NAP information is consistent across all online platforms, including your website, social media profiles, and business directories. Inconsistencies can confuse both search engines and users.
4. Local keyword research
Identify and target local keywords relevant to your business. Aim to discover what terms your local audience is searching for and incorporate these keywords naturally into your website’s content.
5. On-page SEO for local optimisation
Optimise your website’s on-page elements for local search:
- Include your city or region in title tags and meta descriptions.
- Create location-specific landing pages.
- Use schema markup to provide search engines with structured data about your business, like hours of operation and reviews.
- Get an SEO specialist on board to help you with your local optimisation
6. Building local citations
Local citations are mentions of your business’s NAP information on external websites, directories, and social platforms. Focus on quality over quantity. Ensure your business is listed accurately on popular local directories.
7. Encourage customer reviews
Positive reviews not only build trust but also can influence local search rankings. Encourage satisfied customers to leave reviews on your GMB listing and other review platforms relevant to your industry.
Respond to reviews, both positive and negative, to show your commitment to customer satisfaction.
8. Mobile optimisation
Many local searches occur on mobile devices. Ensure your website is mobile-responsive and provides an excellent user experience on smartphones and tablets. Fast-loading pages and easy navigation are essential.
9. Social media and local SEO
Maintain an active presence on social media platforms, especially those your local audience frequents. Share local news and promotions, and engage with your community.
Social signals can indirectly impact local search rankings.
10. Monitor and adapt your strategy
Regularly monitor your local search performance using tools like Google Analytics and GMB Insights. Adjust your strategy based on data, algorithm updates, and changes in your business or local market.
Optimising for local search is an ongoing process that requires dedication and adaptability. By following these steps and staying committed to providing value to your local customers, you can improve your online visibility and attract more local business.
Remember that local SEO is a long-term investment that can yield significant rewards for your business’s growth.
Contact Kelly @ My Sassy Business today to ensure you are optimised for local search results.